These brownies are 100% healthy. They are made of oat flour instead of refined flour (maida). Instead of refined sugar, it has maple syrup. And the star ingredient is – Avocado. Avocado is added in place of butter. Yes! That’s right. And don’t worry. These healthy brownies are not boring. In fact, you won’t be able to tell the difference.
I still can’t believe that I made these brownies using Avocado 🥑 Lemme share the background story of how I came up with this idea.
I love banana walnut muffins which I make without butter and eggs. Bananas make the muffins extremely soft and moist. But they leave their flavor in the muffins which is good for banana walnut muffins. But I wanted a natural ingredient that I can use in chocolate brownies. I still remember I was thinking about it and Jatin was making guacamole in the kitchen. We love guacamole with some crackers 🙂 Jatin got this evening snack on the table and as soon as I had the first bite, it just clicked. I can use Avocados. The solution was in my kitchen, in front of my eyes all the time and I didn’t notice. But I guess things happen when the time is right.
Avocados are called Nature’s butter. They are tasteless. And I was going to use them in chocolate brownies so their green color also won’t dominate. I was very excited to try and when I did, I couldn’t believe my eyes. They were soft, moist, fudgy and you can’t tell the difference if it’s a regular brownie or a healthy one. I felt so proud of myself. I still feel amazed by it. Nature has all the solutions I guess 🙂 You must try this recipe.
If you are in a hurry, watch the video instead and If you enjoy watching it, Plz Subscribe to our Youtube channel.
How to make oat flour at home?
For this recipe, you can use store-bought oats flour too. But I prefer to make it at home using instant oats. Store-bought ones are a little expensive. Moreover, making it at home is quite easy and quick. Just grind the instant oats till you get a fine powder. A little bit of husk is fine. That will be separated out while sifting.
TIPS TO BAKE IT RIGHT
- Room Temperature: Make sure that all the ingredients are at room temperature. It is very important in baking.
- Measure Accurately: Correctly measuring the ingredients is very important. Adding extra flour is one common mistake. Just fill your measuring cup with the flour and then level it off with a knife. If the wet ingredients are not measured well, the muffins will become soggy.
- Sifting: Sift the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, cacao powder, salt. This ensures that there are no lumps in the batter.
- Over mixing: This is something that happens accidentally. Over mixing crushes all the air bubbles and you end with dense brownies. To ensure that the brownies are light, mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until they are just combined. That means you don’t see any dry ingredients left in the bowl.
- Leavening Agent: Baking Powder helps the brownies rise. Double-check to make sure it has not expired.
ADJUSTMENTS – YOU MAY WANT TO MAKE
- Nut Butter: You can use any nut butter – peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter. I prefer almond or cashew since peanut butter gives a very strong flavor to these brownies and we don’t like that. But it is all your choice. Instead of nut butters, you can even add some oil to the mixture. Make sure the oil doesn’t have a strong flavour.
- Sweetener: I added maple syrup to these muffins. But you can even add agave syrup, date syrup or honey to it. Adjust the sweetness as per your taste. These liquid sweeteners are natural and perfect to make the brownies soft and moist.
- Flour: You can use almond flour, coconut flour or any other flour in this recipe. But you need to understand the texture of the batter needed. Every flour has a different liquid-absorbing capacity. Hence, you can not just change one ingredient and keep the rest of the ingredients the same. I would suggest trying the same recipe first and then start making adjustments. Also, the texture of the brownies may change with different flours.
- Flax Egg: Instead of ground flax seeds, you can use ground chia seeds, thick curd or apple sauce.
HOW TO STORE THESE BROWNIES?
You can store these brownies in an air-tight container. Leave them at room temperature for a day or two (depending on the temperature at your place). You can easily refrigerate them for a week. If you like them warm, just reheat them while serving. Top it up with some ice cream and banana slices. I am drooling 🙂
IS THIS RECIPE VEGAN?
Yes. It is a 100% vegan and plant-based recipe.
If you want more vegan recipes, here are a few options:
Now you are all ready to make this delicious, healthy, fudgy brownie at home. It is perfect for your everyday sweet cravings. You don’t need to wait for your cheat days to enjoy this deliciousness. So, grab all the ingredients, and let’s get baking.
If you like the recipe, please share the photo on Instagram and tag us too @marriedfriends. We love to see your recreation of our recipes.
Happy Cooking 🙂
Love from us
Richa & Jatin