I used to think that making cheesecake is a difficult task until I made these mini ones. This recipe doesn’t have any cream cheese, heavy cream, or butter. They are made without any gelatine or agar agar. These are eggless and the best of all – These Are Vegan.
WHAT MADE ME TRY?
If you are following me for a while, you know that I always try to make things healthy without compromising on the taste. I always avoided making cheesecake because of the amount of cream cheese or heavy cream this recipe demands. But when I moved to Germany, I started craving cheesecake a lot. I blame all the bakeries here for putting such deliciously gorgeous cheesecakes right in front of your eyes. They follow me everywhere. But I couldn’t buy them because they are all made of gelatine or eggs.
When my cravings reached the peak, I decided to make it myself at home. But of course, Healthy.
This cheesecake does not have any cream cheese, heavy cream, gelatine, eggs, or cornstarch. These are the ingredients that help in setting the cheesecake. It needs fat for it to set perfectly. Even if we are not sure about the fat content, we add gelatine which does the job well.
I decided to make it vegan and I was so nervous about it. I let it sit overnight and I just could not sleep the whole night. The first thing I did in the morning was to check the cheesecakes. Oh my. They were perfectly set. I could not believe my eyes. I could not control my excitement. I was so happy. But the last hurdle was still there to pass – The Taste Test by Jatin. I was nervous again. But he passed this recipe. He loved it. He said that this is one tasty dessert recipe which he can have every day. Yay.
If you are in hurry, watch the video instead.
DO WE NEED GELATINE?
If you don’t know, gelatine is a non-vegetarian food item. It is made from the skin of animals. If you are a vegetarian, you can use agar agar. These days you can even get vegetarian or vegan gelatine too.
While trying this recipe, I realized that you don’t need gelatine or agar agar to set the filling. If you have the correct proportion of fat and moisture in the filling, it will set perfectly. If I can do it with the vegan filling, I assume that it will be a lot easier with the regular cream cheese filling. I still had to try that. But after having this, I have no plans for that as of now. Moreover, these cheesecakes are quite light and ‘Summery’. You can have more than one and won’t feel sick at all.
But you will need the gelatine if you want that shiny, fruity, gel-like layer on top of your cheesecake.
VEGAN CHEESECAKE FILLING
Common ingredients for the vegan cheesecake filling are:
- Soaked Cashews – Soak the cashews overnight. It helps in making a smooth paste. If you don’t have that much time, soak it for at least 30 minutes in boiling hot water. Rinse well.
- Silken Tofu
- Coconut Cream – Chill the coconut milk in the coolest part of your refrigerator. Take out the top creamy layer and use that in cheesecake. Use high-fat coconut cream. You can even use the cream from high-fat coconut yogurt.
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Coconut Oil – Coconut flavor goes well with mangoes. But if you don’t want the coconut flavor in some other recipe, use the refined coconut oil. It doesn’t contain a strong coconut flavor.
- Vegan Cookies – If you can not find vegan cookies, blend instant oats with some nuts and coconut oil. You can also use a mixture of nuts like almonds, walnuts along with soft dates (no oil).
I did not try the silken tofu and vegan cream cheese yet.
TIPS TO MAKE IT RIGHT
- Do not press the cookie crumbs too hard. They will become dense and it will be tough to break them with a spoon. Apply medium pressure.
- Do not add coconut milk to blend the filling mixture. Remember, we need to maintain the fat and moisture ratio.
- Lemon Juice is added to give sourness that is there in regular cheesecakes.
- If they don’t come out clean, put them in the freezer for 15 minutes. Don’t worry. They won’t become hard. Even if they do, put them back in the refrigerator. They will be all right.
- It is hard to wait for it to set. But have some patience. Let it sit for at least 4-6 hrs in the refrigerator, if not overnight. Although if you keep it overnight, it becomes more flavourful.
- Serve refrigerated. They start to melt and become very soft at room temperature. So, always serve them straight from the refrigerator.
You can enjoy these as is or garnish with some beautiful toppings like:
- Mango slices and mint leaves
- Strawberry pieces
- Strawberry sauce
- Fresh Blueberries
- Blueberry Sauce
- Whipped Cream
- White Chocolate Shavings
- Lemon Zest
Tangy fruits go well with the cheesecakes.
Now grab all the ingredients because we are ready to set our cheesecakes.
If you try this recipe, please share photos and tag us on Instagram – marriedfriends. We love to see your creation of our recipes.