Sweet & Sour. Chilling & Refreshing. No Sugar & Healthier Summer Drink – Aam Panna. The best thing about summers is the arrival of mangoes. Isn’t it? We all wait for it. We like it raw and ripe. To beat the heat in summer, all we need all the time is something refreshing and energetic. And if something can be made with natural ingredients, there is nothing like that.
This Mango Drink is the fancy version of the classic Aam Panna. It is perfect for weekend parties and to serve your guests. Just make it and have a fantastic day. It will surely win your heart and make you crave for more. If you want more summer drinks, do try Thandai and our Mango Smoothie too.
When I was a kid, I never liked Aam Panna. I remember, in the summer holidays when we used to go to our grandparents’ home, my grand-mom used to make it in big batches so that we all can enjoy it every day. It was served in the evening time with some snacks and we used to sit on their lawn and enjoy that with some chit-chats and laughter. At that time I used to feel that why are they drinking it. It was dark because of jaggery. She used to add different spices and a lot of black pepper in it, I assume. It used to pinch my throat. So, I never had it while growing up.
But after I got married, one day I just randomly tried it for my husband, Jatin. He loved it a lot. He told me to make a big batch of it so that we can have it every day in summer. In fact, I also started enjoying it. We have it every day in summer after coming back from the office. It refreshes to the core. Moreover, it is a healthier summer drink. Rather than drinking soft drinks or any store-bought juice or squash, just make this at home. Homemade is always the best and you know what is going inside your body.
If you are in a hurry, watch the video instead and if you enjoy it, please Subscribe to our Youtube channel too.
What is Aam Panna?
Aam Panna is a classic Indian drink that is made in summer because of its cooling properties. It is a healthier alternative to store-bought juices or soft drinks. This mango drink is made with natural ingredients – raw mango, jaggery, some seasonings, mint leaves, ginger, and a lot of ice and cold water. It is slightly yellow, brown, or green in color.
It has a sweet and sour taste with a hint of black salt and roasted cumin seeds. It tastes amazing. So refreshing yet so healthy.
Components of Mango Mocktail – Aam Panna with a twist
I don’t know what to call it. It could be as simple as Mango Drink or when serving your guests, you can say it is Mango Mojito 🙂 But what is in the name? Below are the components of this beverage:
- Aam Panna Concentrate – This recipe has the classic Aam Panna as a base. We make a thick Aam Panna squash or concentrate that can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week (or even more).
- Soda – To make it feel like a mocktail, use some chilled soda on top.
- Green Chilli – This sounds weird but we had something similar in a restaurant and it tasted quite good. It gives a nice hint of green chili in every sip. It looks fancy too.
- Topping – To make it look like a fancy mocktail, top it up with some lemon slices, mint leaves, and even a few slices of raw mango. Coat the rim of the glass with some salt and red chili powder mixture. Don’t worry. It won’t burn your lips.
How to store the Aam Panna Concentrate?
You can make a thick squash-like consistency of Aam Panna and store it in the refrigerator for up to a month or two.
Or, you can make a big batch, pour them into the ice-cube tray and freeze them for a much longer time. When you want to enjoy it, just add the Aam Panna ice cubes to a glass and pour some water or soda on top.
Is this recipe Vegan?
Yes. This recipe is vegan. All the ingredients used in this recipe are plant-based.
- Jaggery – Instead of jaggery, you can add sugar or any sweetener that you prefer.
- Soda – Instead of soda, you can add some no-color soft drinks like Sprite. In that case, don’t add any sweetener to the Aam Panna concentrate. It will get the sweetness from the soft drink.
- Raw Mango – Instead of raw mangoes, you can even use slightly sweet mangoes. In that case, you will get natural sweetness from the mangoes and you can reduce the quantity of jaggery or sugar.
Now grab all the ingredients because you are ready to make this refreshing drink at home. If you like the recipe and make it, please share the photo on Instagram and tag us too @marriedfriends. We just love to see your recreation of our recipes.